Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Rare Praise: The Dark Knight

WARNING: If you’re one of the six people left in the world that hasn’t seen The Dark Knight yet, there may be spoilers below. If, like me, you’ve already seen it three times, then read on.

I hate hype. Rarely, if ever, does a big summer movie live up to the hype that inescapably accompanies it. The recent Indiana Jones and Star Wars poop-farms come to mind, although as far as I’m concerned, those franchises are still only trilogies. Let’s just pretend those other four “films” never happened, shall we? Oh, sorry; five “films”—someone keeps letting George Lucas make Star Wars movies, only now they’re fully computer-animated instead of being only 95% computer-animated. Don’t you have enough goddamned money yet, George? FUCK!

But I digress. I’m not here to chastise Hollywood for butt-fucking yet another good idea to death. I’m actually here to praise them for somehow managing to churn out what is arguably the best piece of summer entertainment I’ve ever seen. The Dark Knight’s hype was grandiose, yet the movie itself still managed to deliver more than any ad campaign could have ever promised. Try swallowing this: from the same studio that brought you Batman and Robin comes yet another comic book sequel…but with a dark and complex story, featuring stand-out performances by an all-star cast, one of whom posthumously gives us one of the best villains in movie history. Sounds like total bullshit, right? Nay, good readers. It be the gospel.

Now I’m not saying this film is flawless. Even after three viewings, I still can’t figure out why Batman doesn’t just send Gordon to save Dent and rescue his beloved damsel in distress himself (aside from the fact that blowing up your love interest is fucking NAILS, Brothers Nolan!) And I just can’t shake how forced Heath Ledger’s laugh seems to me throughout the film. (In the dead man’s defense, that shit ain’t easy to pull off, and it’s the only chink in an otherwise masterful performance.) AND, in a movie filled with Batmen and Jokers and Eric Roberts of all people, my disbelief only became unsuspended when not one of those ferryboat passengers was able to blow his condemned counterparts straight to hell. (But perhaps that’s more telling of my own lack of faith in mankind than any glaring misstep by the filmmakers.)

Which brings me to the point of this little column, dear readers: the fact that a Batman movie can make me question such things as my faith in mankind is nothing short of extraordinary. The mere notion that an escapist popcorn fantasy could elicit such thought and emotion from even one its viewers is simply astounding. If for no other reason than that, this movie has raised the bar for me. Not just for action movies or comic book movies, but for movies in general. The Dark Knight showed me that movies don’t have to be just 90 minutes worth of mindless, useless drivel aimed at temporarily satiating an increasingly apathetic, idiotic public. Movies can make you feel, they can make you THINK. Hell, they can inspire you to write blogs about how inspired you are to finally be inspired again by this medium that once so inspired you! In short, movies are still everything I hoped they could be.

So I add my voice to the hype for The Dark Knight. But now I’ve probably built it up too much. Maybe you should go see The Clone Wars instead. I hear George Lucas needs the money. Douchebag.

2 comments:

DP said...

I kind of disagree about the laugh. It seemed a bit forced, but almost as if the Joker himself would have forced it a bit. Like he was being sarcastic about it. Anyway, Heath Ledger showed us he could really act. And O.D.

What really drove me nuts was Batman's voice. Luckily, he wasn't in the picture much.

Anonymous said...

I never got the impression the Joker forced his laugh. Maybe I'm just not into acting enough to notice it...who knows.

Bale dropped the voice and made it raspy because that's the current approach of Batman: The Animated Series voice actor. The animated series, prior to Batman Begins, was the closest Batman storyline to the graphic novels. The voice of that Batman is darker and raspier. There was an article recently on CNN just talking about this very point. While the raspy voice has mixed reviews it DOES help separate the playboy from the vigilante. Adam West never really changed his voice, nor did any of the late 80-90s portrayals.

I find the voice annoying in prolonged scenes, but for the most part it's tolerable.

The question for me is, what's next? The Joker never dies, and I'm quite certain Nolan would be a fool to even try and bring him back into the storyline. Two Face is gone, and the focus is now on Batman as the "villain" and root of crime in Gotham. While it would be predictible to bring in "The Penguin" or "The Riddler", I'm kind of looking for something new. Show us another villain that wasn't done before. Give us a new storyline that isn't a revamp of the 1990s.

In closing...

Dear Peach Basket - sit down, watch some old movies, and quit snuggling up with mainsttream Hollywood. I miss the "old" movie reviews!

--McBean